Horsehead and Flame Nebulae
The Horsehead Nebula is a dark cloud of dust that blocks light from the nebula behind it. Information at Wikipedia.
The Flame Nebula is a cloud of mostly hydrogen that gets energized by nearby star Alnitak. Information at Wikipedia.
- Analyzed and pre-processed 26 10 Minute lights with custom software to remove bad columns and hot pixels.
- stacked with 100 flats and 100 bias frames in DeepSkyStacker.
- Processed in PixInsight Core with, curves- and histogram transformations, SCNR to remove green cast, ACDNR to reduce noise (luminance mask applied).
- Published with PaintShopPro X2.
Image of the setup
- William Optic Megrez 100ED with TRF-2008 flattener
- QHY8 with IDAS-LPS filter
- EQ6/Atlas EQ/G controlled by EQMOD
- Guided with a DSI-Pro
Click the 'Full size' icon on top of the image for the original image. Popup blockers must be disabled for this site.
There's also a cropped view of this region, check the next image.