Messier 51 (M51) - crop
M51, Whirlpool Galaxy. An interacting pair of galaxies with tidal waves of stars visible to the top, right and left. Plenty of other galaxies are
visible as well.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool_Galaxy]Information at Wikipedia.[/url]
- 39 15 Minute lights (9h45m) captured 3/20, 3/21/09 with Nebulosity 2
- stacked with 100 flats, 100 dark flats, and 100 bias frames in DeepSkyStacker.
- Processed in PixInsight Core with DBE, histogram transformations, ACDNR, HDRWaveletTransformation, Masked curve for saturation,
- Published with PaintShopPro X2
- The monitor used during processing was calibrated using Spyder3Elite. The image was processed and published using the sRGB color profile for
the widest possible compatibility. FireFox 3 has color management capabilities. Use Google to find out how to enable these.
Image of the setup
- William Optic Megrez 110ED with TRF-2008 flattener
- QHY8 with IDAS-LPS filter
- EQ6/Atlas EQ/G controlled by EQMOD
- Guided with a DSI-Pro
- Focused with a Bahtinov mask (drawn by myself in InkScape)
- Flats created with an EL panel. Two sets of 50, rotated 90 degrees
- Kept dew free with Dew-Buster
Click the 'Full size' icon on top of the image for the original image. Popup blockers must be disabled for this site.
There may be other versions of this image next to this one.